Saturday, May 26, 2007

China

People have asked us a lot of questions about China. Why are we adopting from there? What's the deal with their one child policy? What goes on over there?

Below is a link to an article in the Washington Post this week. I cried every time that I read the article.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18812874/

Everything has settled down around here lately, and a lot of the excitement has faded a little as we wait until February to begin our paperwork. This week, I have felt a little numb to it all, and I have been praying God would keep me going and respark some of that passion that I felt when we began this journey. I stumbled upon this article, and it was just what I needed. I needed to remember why we are doing all of this.

I have always wanted a little girl, a little sister for my Connor, and the fact that in a couple of years, our little girl will be born and given away, just blows by mind. A mother who had an 8 year old girl, but really wanted a boy, was asked about the fact that she had to pay a fine in order to have another child. She said, "It's worth it, I finally got a son. In our area, if you don't have a son, you haven't made it. In the countryside, if we don't have a son, who will take care of us when we are old?"

I just found this so sad! And then I began to think about the pain of the mothers who have always dreamed about having a precious little girl, but have to give up their daughters because they need a son. One of the next books I'm reading is "Wanting a Daughter, Needing a Son."

I also have ordered, "Lost Daughters of China" and am planning on beginning it as soon as it arrives. We are planning on watching Lisa Ling's documentary (which has the same name) tonight.

Please read the article! Hopefully it will give our friends and family a little more insight into what goes on over in China and why we're doing this.

No comments: