Friday, November 9, 2007

Why I Love Kids!

I have two "Kids Say the Funniest Things" stories from today.

The first is from one of my adorable little kids at school. A little background, first. Connor was restless all night and was up and down coughing, etc. So, my sleep was minimal last night. I completely overslept this morning and rushed out the door with only time to get a super quick shower and to pull my hair into a ponytail. Needless to say, I wasn't looking my prettiest, with no make-up and donning my only sweatshirt, jeans, and tennis shoes. Yes, I took "Casual Friday" to a whole new level today! Anyways, back to the story. I have this ADORABLE little boy in my reading class. He is so cute! He kept staring at me all through class. Finally, about halfway through class, I was walking around the room helping students and was at his group. He said, "Mrs. Adkins, you looks different. You looks like you change colors." (Yes, there are grammar errors on purpose, keep in mind this is an inner city kid talking here.) I said, "I changed colors?" "Yeah, you a different color." I said, "Well, sweetie I am not wearing any make-up today, so I guess my face isn't as fixed up as it normally is, but I'm still the same color." I then proceeded to make some joke about how scary I am without make-up and promised to never do it again. My sweet little friend said, "No, Mrs. Adkins you still pretty, you just look like you a different color, that's all." I couldn't stop laughing. He is so cute! And that will be the last time I don't wear make-up to work!

Okay, my next story comes from another adorable little boy. The one and only Connor. Greg had a show tonight and Connor and I spent the evening together. We went out to eat and then over to Target to get some stuff for my nephew who will be making his grand entrance on Monday (if not before). We were sitting at the stoplight getting ready to turn and I heard screaming coming from the street corner. I turned and saw a street preacher yelling at oncoming traffic. He had some sign that I can't remember, but I'm sure it was something like, "You are all going to Hell." Just a sidenote, do you think this guy was just sitting at home tonight and got bored and was like, hey, I think I'll go yell about some hell and damnation in front of Target? I mean does that sound like a fun Friday night? Okay, i digress. Anyways, we couldn't make out much of what he was saying, just basically, "(yelling)..(yelling)...(yellling)...JESUS...(yelling)...(yelling)...(yelling)...JESUS!" Connor finally said, "Mom, why is that guy so mad....and why is he yelling at my Jesus?" I thought I was going to wreck as I made the turn because I was laughing so hard. Connor went on to inform me that "My Jesus is nice and he shouldn't yell at him. He lives in my heart, you know and he's nice, he doesn't yell like that guy." So, that pretty much made my night.

I think that my three year old has better perspective on faith than the "angry" street preacher. I'd like to think my Jesus is more like my three year old.

No comments: