Monday, April 30, 2007

The Adoption

Okay, so as the word is spreading about our adoption, here are the two things that I am hearing pretty regularly.

1. "Oh, can you guys not have anymore kids?" As far as I know we are perfectly capable of having more children naturally, and we might even decide to do that someday. Who knows! Just because someone adopts, it doesn't mean that they can't have more biological children. And even if they couldn't, is that a question you should really be asking? It might be a bit painful for the couple.

2. "Oh, now you don't have to throw up for nine months again!" Yes, my pregnancy with Connor was less than ideal. As a matter of fact, as my friend Mandy says, there is probably a reason I threw up for nine months. With my personality type (I am a control freak, impatient, and selfish) the complete opposite of what adoption requires, I would have probably had a harder time softening my heart to the idea if having Connor had been a breeze. BUT............nine months of throwing up and two and a half hours of drug-free pushing to deliver a 10 pound baby is NOTHING in comparison to the journey we have ahead. We have to wait THREE to FOUR years with unbelievable patience and put quite a financial strain on ourselves to bring this little girl into our family. But without any doubt in my being, this is what we're being called to do.

These comments are amusing to me because these would have totally been my thoughts a month ago if I was on the outside looking in! It's amazing how much can change in a short time.

No comments: