Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Summer Stuff for Moms and Kids

Well, I can't sleep. My body is not used to naps, especially the three hour one I took this afternoon. So, I thought I'd post a random blog. Just some ideas to keep your kids busy this summer without having your husband mad at you for spending too much money...apparently I spend more money than usual in the summer. I guess I'm not used to the extra time, and don't quite know what to do with myself. Buying a new shirt for me or a new toy for Connor always seems like a good idea at the time!

Giant Art- Give your kids a piece of posterboard (Connor calls it "giant paper"), a bucket of crayons, a roll of stickers, and let them go to town! Connor and my niece thought this was so much fun! It kept them entertained for a LONG time!

Popcorn Treasure Hunt- Find a giant bowl or bucket and bury little treasures for your kids to find in popcorn kernels. I lay down a cheap plastic tablecloth and it makes for an easy clean-up. Connor loves this, and he loves to hide things for me to find too!

Water Balloon Fight- In the dollar bin at Target, they have a pack of 75 water balloons with a special attachment for your sink or hose that makes filling them up a breeze. This was SO MUCH FUN!

Noodle Fight- Okay, so don't judge my parenting, but those pool noodles make some awesome pirate swords. Connor and I can play "sword fight" in the yard without hurting each other, and it keeps his interest for a while. Aaargghhh!

Visit any of the area’s water play areas. In Powell, we have one off of Emory Rd. next to the highschool, there is a small one in Market Square, one in Carl Cowan Park, and there is a GIANT fountain at the World’s Fair Park, so big in fact that Connor was scared to death and didn’t want to play. He said, “I’ll get blown up in the sky and never see my Mommy and Daddy again!” There are probably more, but those are the only ones we’ve visited!

Take your kids to Dollywood and Splash Country. Every year, we buy a season pass and we totally get our money’s worth. Kids 3 and under are free, so it’s pretty affordable! It’s totally one of those things that is not much fun for the adults, but your kids will have so much fun, it will make you smile!

Bounce House- Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning from 10-12 , they have open play time. It is VERY fun and only $5.50 per child. Don’t forget your socks!

Knox Co. Library Summer Reading Program- Sign your kids up for the Summer Reading Program. Kids can earn lots of prizes! Also, look into everything that the Knox. Co. Librarty has going on this summer. They are having everything from puppets to the Zoomobile visiting their libraries.

Free movies on Tuedsay and Thursday mornings at 10 a.m. at all Regal Cinemas.

Free Craft time at AC Moore at 2p.m on Tuesday and Thursdays.

Bruster’s Ice Cream…always a hit in our house! Under 40” gets free ice cream!

Let’s hear more...for the sake of Greg's wallet!

No comments: