Friday, January 23, 2009

Happy 5th Birthday, Connor!




Here's what I remember about five years ago today....pain like I've never experienced, combined with puking on my doctor twice, add some more pain, and then the sight of the most beautiful creature I had ever seen of my life. I also remember these words....."Ten pounds point zero once ounce" followed by the shouts of my mother and mother-in-law..."Jessica!" "Are you kidding me??" I love to tell people he was ten pounds when he was born. As a skinny minnie as he is now, it's hard to believe, plus I'm not exactly built to house a ten pounder. I also love that fact that my sweet boy was sleeping through the night in a matter of two weeks due to all that extra body fat!!

There are so many things I love about Connor. Things that just amaze me everyday. His memory is crazy! He remembers things we don't think he should, things we think he's too young to remember. He has the funniest sense of humor, and we can already see he will be the class clown! He is so witty for a five year old! He has a innate musical ability already, just like his daddy. He watched the movie WallE twice, then got the soundtrack, and could tell me what scene every single song was from. He hears and understands music, just like his daddy! He's such a bright little boy with so much potential. He can built things from Legos by following the package direction pictures, with minimal assistance from Daddy. He's already reading simple sight word books, writing some, and using vocabulary words beyond his years. I am proud of and love all these things about Connor, but what I am proud of the most about Connor is that he has the most kind and tender heart that I could ever ask for. He truly cares about others, and he just loves with everything in him. This is my child who was excited when we asked him if he would be willing to forego presents at his party, and instead have his friends bring food for a food pantry. He responded by saying, "Sure, I'd love to help people with no food. I have a ton of toys, anyways!" I can only pray that he keeps his compassion through his whole life, and I will feel successful as a Mom!

I think what Connor wants more than anything for his birthday is a little sister! He prays for her nightly, asking God to keep her safe and bring her home soon. Always adding in..."We REALLY want to take care of her!"

I love you, Connor! Thank for you changing my world this past five years. I'm a better person than I ever was because you love me so much. I'm so proud to be your mommy, sweet boy!

(If you want to read a hilarious story about one of Connor's presents, click here to visit Greg's blog)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written Jessica. I'm a better person for Connor's love too! What a gift from God!